Sunday, September 30, 2012

A revision of Rachael Ray's BBQ Sloppy Chicken Pizza


This is a great "pizza" that I've made in the past using the originally called for ingredient of ground chicken. I decided tempeh would be the best substitute and I was right. You need a vegan corn bread mix and the only one I could found was by ChiChi. I omitted the can of creamed corn it called for and just added a cup of thawed frozen corn. I baked it for 40 minutes at 350 in a cast iron skillet. 

A bit dry looking….


About 15 minutes before the corn bread was done, I chopped up the tempeh and threw it into a dutch oven on medium-high heat. I added a splash of extra virgin olive oil to prevent burning.  Once it began to brown…..

I added chopped onion and red bell peppers and minced garlic. I let it cook about 5 minutes then added cumin, salt, pepper and chili powder. The recipe calls for 1 tbsp of chili powder, but that's too much for me. 


Once that had cooked for a few minutes I added the liquids: 1 small can of tomato sauce (unsalted), a dash of Uncle Frank's hot sauce, 1 tbsp of Worcestershire sauce, a couple of squirts of maple agave syrup (instead of 3 tbsp of dark brown sugar)…..   Pile it all on the corn bread.


I used 1/2 Daiya Mozzarella and 1/2 Daiya Cheddar to top it….. It was about a cup of cheese all together.  Put it back in the oven until the cheese melts. It took about 10 minutes. 




 Finished product. Smells great.

It did not disappoint. Sweet corn bread and tangy sauce. Cheesy Daiya and spicy tempeh.  

More proof that you can go meatless and enjoy great food!


No comments:

Post a Comment