Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Vegetable and Rice Casserole

Here is another recipe I found on vegweb.com. Jotting this down via my iPhone before I forget.

1 cup cooked brown rice
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 cup chopped broccoli
1 zucchini, chopped
16 oz salsa
1 cup vegan cheddar (Daiya rocks!)

Preheat oven to 350.

Heat the beans and salsa on the stovetop about 5 minutes and then add the other veggies. Cook them until slightly softened, 5-10 minutes. Add the rice and mix. Place in a casserole dish, mine was 9x9. Top with cheese. I divided the cheese and put some in the middle so the cheesy taste would be all through it. Bake 20 minutes.

The zucchini and peppers stayed a bit crunchy, which I prefer, so cook them longer if you like them softer.

I am not a fan of broccoli. Luckily, I couldn't taste it. So this is a good way to get a dreaded vegetable into a picky child (or adult). Just chop it up fine and maybe they won't notice. This would make a great burrito filling, which would also make the veggies even more hidden.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment