Monday, September 3, 2012

Eggplant Chana Masala

This is easily one of the best things I've ever made. It is seasoned perfectly and is perfect comfort food.  I found the recipe in Alicia Silverstone's cookbook The Kind Diet. Having never tried eggplant I thought this would be the perfect introduction since it's pretty much drowned in spices and other flavors. 

Ingredients
  • 1 lg onion roughly chopped
  • garlic cloves minced
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 tsp curry powder or to taste
  • 1-2 tsp cumin (I used 2)
  • 1 lg eggplant peeled and chopped into 1/2
  • 1-15 oz cans chickpeas drained
  • 1-14 oz cans peeled tomatoes drained and chopped
  • 1 can vegetarian chili
  • 1 lg handful chopped fresh cilantro-1/2c
  • a pinch of smoked sea salt (My addition)

I served this with wild grain and brown rice, which was perfect.

First sauté the onions and garlic in the oil until softened. Add the spices and mix well.  Add the eggplant and cook until softened. Next add the chick peas, tomatoes and chili. Stir well and simmer for 30 minutes. 

Top with cilantro and sea salt before serving over rice. 

I can't wait to try this in a tortilla tomorrow for lunch. 

  






No comments:

Post a Comment