Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Baja Style Tempeh Tacos of Heaven

Looking for THE vegan cookbook? You can't go wrong with Veganomicon.  Tonight I made this:


Tempeh marinated in soy sauce, garlic, grape seed oil, cumin and ancho chili powder for an hour and then pan fried in a cast iron skillet is my new favorite tempeh ever. And once it is combined with the lime crema (I had to use soy sour cream instead of soy yogurt because I couldn't find plain soy yogurt at my usual haunts. It worked), the slaw mix, radishes and avocado….well.   I was in food heaven. There were so many textures and flavors.

It was more effort than I usually put into a weeknight meal, what with the boiling of the tempeh, the marinating, the slicing and dicing. I did use a pre-shredded bag of slaw mix to make the slaw. The most time consuming part was heating all of the tortillas.  One. At. A. Time.  But it was worth it in the end because seriously. So good.

Ingredients used:
Tempeh
Soy sauce
Grape seed oil (I skipped the extra oil: Peanut because one was fine.)
Cumin
Ancho chili powder
Kosher salt and pepper
Minced garlic
Soy sour cream
Lime juice
Cilantro
Slaw mix
Apple Cidar Vinegar
Pickled jalepenos
Radishes
Avocado
Corn torillas
I omitted the beer for the marinade. Didn't miss it at all.

You can find the whole recipe online if you google it, but I suggest you buy the book. You won't go wrong. Even meat eaters would love this.

No comments:

Post a Comment