Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Turkey and Black Bean Tacos

Original Recipe


It's another taco night. I found the corn tortillas worked much better this time. There isn't really anything new or exciting about this recipe, but it's fast and good. And by not using "taco kits" you are decreasing sodium and who knows what else is in those spice packets. 







INGREDIENTS:

  •  corn tortillas
  • 1 lb extra-lean ground turkey
  • 1 15-oz can low-sodium black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 cup, plus 2 tbsp chunky low-sodium salsa
  • lettuce
  • olive oil
  • salt and pepper

INSTRUCTIONS:

  1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Loosely wrap tortillas in foil, making 2 packets of 6 tortillas each. Place packets on a baking sheet and bake for 10 to 15 minutes, or until hot.
  2. Coat a skillet with olive oil and heat on medium-high. Add turkey and cook until lightly browned and cooked through, about 6 to 8 minutes, breaking up meat as you go. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Remove from heat and set aside.
  3. Unwrap foil packets and place 2 tortillas on each of 6 plates. For each plate, distribute 1/2 cup turkey, 1/4 cup beans, 3 tbsp salsa and 1/3 cup lettuce evenly between both tortillas. Serve immediately. 
I varied it a bit by adding cumin to the turkey as it cooked. Once the turkey was done I added the salsa and black beans to the turkey and let it heat through. My tortillas were small and once I added the mixture there wasn't much room. So I divided it amongst 3 tortillas for me. Made it much easier to eat. 

Ever since Willa gave up naps her bed time ritual starts early. So in an effort to eat supper with her I have to cook pretty early in the afternoon. I've usually finished my meal by 4:30 or 5:00.  Fast meals like this are perfect for weeknights.  

No comments:

Post a Comment