Saturday, May 12, 2012

Vegetarian panini

Original recipe site


This would have been a great sandwich if the avocado had been ripe. But the flavors were awesome.  And I don't even care for tomatoes! It's a bit time consuming for a sandwich, what with all the chopping and grilling.  And I had to alter mine a bit because I couldn't find focaccia bread at my grocery store. 


Ingredients:


focaccia bread (I used a 5 grain baguette)
tomatoes
avocado
red onion
mozzarella cheese
fresh basil
pesto


Slice baguette into sandwich portions. I made 4. Thinly slice tomatoes, avocado and red onion.  I cut all of the seeds out of the tomato to prevent the sandwich from getting too mushy. Chop the basil. Spread a thin layer of pesto on both top and bottom slices of bread. Add the cheese, tomato and basil. The original recipe says to season this with salt and pepper but I didn't and it wasn't missed at all. Add avocado and red onion slices. Add the top of the bread and cook on a grill, stove top grill pan (which I used), or whatever you have.  It's a panini so you want it to be pressed down. Note to self: get panini maker! I kept the oven on warm so that when one sandwich was done I could keep it warm while continuing to work. 


I made this for an easy supper and one sandwich was filling enough for me. Bobby had 2. So all in all very tasty. I look forward to trying it again with a ripe avocado.  


No comments:

Post a Comment