Thursday, May 17, 2012

Chicken and Black Bean Grilled Sandwiches

This recipe came from my Clean Eating 2 cookbook. The only thing I changed was the bread because it said to slice a baguette into 32 slices and make 16 little sandwiches. I needed to be able to make something fast so I used whole grain sourdough bread slices and make 4 sandwiches.

Cooked chicken: I cooked 6 chicken cutlets on the stove top and cut them up into little pieces once they were done. What ever chicken didn't make it onto a sandwich can be used tomorrow for something else.  You could also use Rotisserie chicken that's already cooked. Any chicken will do is the point.

Heat a frying pan on medium heat.

1 cup cooked black beans (if canned make sure they are drained and rinsed.)
2 teaspoons dried cilantro. I had fresh so I tore off half a palmful.
1/4 c. water
salt
cayenne pepper (I used about a teaspoon of chili powder instead)

Blend the above 5 ingredients in a food processor until smooth.
Spread the black bean mix onto the bread slices, top with chicken and shredded cheddar cheese (about 1 tablespoon.) Top with another slice of bread.

Spray each side of the sandwich with olive oil cooking spray and place in pan. I put a press on top of the sandwiches so they would grill nicely.

Cook each side a few minutes or until the cheese is melted and the bread is toasty.

Now maybe it's because my blood sugar was low but these were excellent. I could have upped the chili powder so next time I'll add more.


No comments:

Post a Comment