Saturday, August 11, 2012

Faux Tuna Salad….Really!

Have you heard of Happy Herbivore? She writes fantastic vegan recipes and here's one I was skeptical about. I love tuna fish salad. In fact, it was the hardest thing for me to give up when I transitioned to a vegan diet recently. Years ago, when I was a vegetarian, tuna salad was the one thing I craved the most and it started me back to eating meat, fish and poultry. So to find a recipe that claimed to taste like the real thing was promising but come on….how could chick peas really taste like tuna?  And then I noticed something for the first time. When I opened the can of chick peas, it actually smelled reminiscent of canned tuna!

Check out HH's site. Here's the recipe: Happy Herbivore Mock Tuna Salad




I am truly amazed. If I hadn't known, the first bite would have fooled me for sure. It's very tuna salad-like but doesn't have the "fishy" taste that some people dislike about tuna. There is also no fishy smell so it's perfect to take to work when you share an office.

Note: original recipe used kelp, which I didn't have. I'll have to acquire some soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment