Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Beet and Carrot Salad



I've never even thought of eating raw beets. This sounded like a nice update of the standard carrot salad.  It's tangy and goes nicely with some hummus.

I omitted the tabasco sauce and I took a couple handfuls of baby spinach and tore it up into the salad. Some crunchy rice noodles would also be good here.


If you let it sit for a while there will be quite a bit of liquid.  I got tired of grating carrots and started just using a peeler but I eventually went back to the grater. What you see in the picture is how much I made using 2 carrots and one small beet.  (I was making this for one.)  I also combined the beets, carrots and spinach before dressing them. I didn't need to be concerned about the beet color "bleeding" since this was just for me.  It's very filling.  Recipe courtesy of epicurious.com.


14 cup shallot (minced)
2 tbsps peeled fresh ginger (minced)
garlic clove (minced)
14 cup rice vinegar (Asian markets and some supermarkets)
1 tbsp soy sauce
12 tsp toasted sesame oil (Asian)
tabasco (taste)
12 cup olive oil
4 cups shredded carrots (finely)
4 cups beets (finely shredded peeled raw, 34 pound)
1 leaf spinach (washed thoroughly for garnish if desired)
1In a blender purée shallot, ginger, and garlic with rice vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil, and Tabasco. With motor running add olive oil in a stream and blend until smooth.
2In separate bowls toss carrots with half of the dressing and beets with remaining half. Divide carrot salad and beet salad among 6 plates and garnish with spinach leaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment