Sunday, January 20, 2013

Happy Herbivore Carrot Cake Pancakes

Mmmm.   Carrot cake pancakes? There are recipes all over the net but this was the first I'd tried. I like that it didn't use any oil.  I found it Happy Herbivore's Everyday cookbook and I'm so glad I made them.  They aren't too sweet and have a spice cake taste.  The toughest part was grating the carrots. I used a microplane and grated 1 1/2 medium sized carrots to get a 1/4 cup.  Now that I type this, I realize the hardest part was not eating them all! I was able to make 6 medium pancakes and one little Mickey Mouse pancake for the child.  The only tweaks I made were a teaspoon of cane sugar and a little squirt of maple agave.  I did this because when I tasted the batter it didn't seem sweet at all. However, next time I'll skip the sugar. I don't think it added much at such a small amount.  The agave would be enough. And since I made cream cheese "syrup" the pancakes were plenty sweet.

I used about 2 oz of vegan cream cheese, 1 tablespoon of powdered sugar, 1/2 a teaspoon of vanilla and a splash of unsweetened almond milk and blended until smooth. It poured like syrup and while not an exact replica of cream cheese frosting, it was close enough.  Perfect with the pancakes.



No comments:

Post a Comment