Saturday, June 16, 2012

Steak House Panini

My first foray back into cooking new things (after a brief reprieve) was from Clean Eating. A steak house panini with flank steak and sweet potatoes. Sadly, this didn't appeal to me as much as I thought it would. I love all of the ingredients involved, but somehow they didn't meld to my liking.  The potatoes were too sweet for this, in my opinion. And I couldn't taste the cheese at all. I did alter the recipe slightly so I will post what I used. You can google steak house panini and find the original recipe.

Flank steak (will use about 8 oz)
olive oil
1/4 cup butter milk
2 cups baby spinach
1 tablespoon crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
salt and pepper
1/2 - 1 teaspoon paprika
2 sweet potatoes
whole wheat tortillas

Pre-heat oven to 425.

I peeled and quartered the potatoes, cut them into strips, coated them in olive oil and sprinkled with salt. Then I baked them until done, about 20 minutes.

While they were cooking I made the sauce. Using a blender I blended the spinach, Gorgonzola and "buttermilk." Lacking buttermilk I added 1 tablespoon lemon juice to a cup of milk and let it set for 5 minutes.  Blend until smooth. It's such a vibrant green, but all I could taste was the spinach.



Remove potatoes and set aside to cool.  Position an oven rack to just under the broiler and preheat oven to broil.

Season steak with paprika and salt and broil 5-7 minutes on each side.  Remove, let rest for a few minutes and slice thin against the grain.


Assemble the paninis and grill on a panini press or use a sauté pan to "grill."


While very pretty this just didn't hit the mark. The meat was wonderful though and we had enough left over for something different. I'll have to try this again with regular potatoes and an increased amount of cheese.


No comments:

Post a Comment